The Brockman Building is a 12-story Classical and Romanesque Revival building located in Downtown Los Angeles. Built in 1912, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. The building was built in 1912 for John Brockman and designed by George D. Barnett of Barnett, Haynes & Barnett. The Brockman Building was the first building west of the Broadway Commercial District to reach the city's 150-foot height limit. Brockman's move started a westward movement of the downtown commercial district and turned Seventh Street into the city's high-end retail district. Several department stores and office buildings were developed along Seventh Street after the Brockman Building was completed.
The building was converted into an 80-unit condominium project from 2006 to 2008, but the building's owner filed for bankruptcy protection before the project was completed. The building was owned by Bank of America until April 2012, when it was purchased by Denver's Simpson Housing LLC in what was reported as "the second highest price-per-unit sale in Downtown Los Angelesâ€™[s] history." There were reportedly 26 offers for the building. The largely-finished lofts will be luxury rentals.